Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Easy Project

I finished another project (really, I finished it a few weeks ago and never got around to posting this), and it was so easy I had to share it with you. I consider myself to be an intermediate seamstress, but I had never tried this project before. It is pillow covers with envelope backs (I avoid buttonholes and zippers like the plague).

Here is a picture of the back of the finished product. Remember when I found the custom order fabric samples for 25 cents each? Well, I was waiting for the perfect backing fabric that didn't cost too much. I found a chenille curtain panel for $5, and it was big enough to make the backs of all the pillows. I washed it first so it would pucker a little, and it is sooo soft.

So here is what I did. I already had the pillow forms -- I highly recommend feather pillows. I got mine at Ikea and they didn't cost that much. They were 20-inch squares, so I cut the fabric for the front of the cover in a 21 inch square (I use a 1/2 inch seam allowance, so that is 20" + 1/2" + 1/2+). I made a few pillow covers, so I took brown packing paper and made a pattern that I could use over and over.

For the fabric on the back, you need 2 pieces, and they need to overlap about 3 inches. So, the width of each piece will be half of the pillow size (10") + 3 inch overlap (3") + seam allowance on side hem (1/2") plus hem on other edge (1/2") = 14". The height of these pieces will be simply 21". To make it easier, cut it out as one big piece and then cut it in half, eg, cut a piece that is 28" wide and 21" high. Then cut it in half.

You need to hem one side of each of the backing pieces. Fold it under 1/4" and iron, then fold under another 1/4" and sew.















Next, pin the pieces together right sides together. First pin one of the backing pieces to the front, and then pin the other backing piece over that. Sew 1/2" around the entire pillow. Then to make the seam stronger, sew a zig zag stitch around the entire seam allowance. Clip the corners and turn inside-out. Done. Hope it made sense.

7 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Heather, those are gorgeous pillows! I love that you found those samples so cheap...that's the kind of deals I love too. And the backing material is just perfect. You did a great job with the pillows. I rely on my mom to sew for me, but I sure do need to try it out for myself. She even gave me her old Singer machine & it's in my closet.

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

PS. I understand why you took the post down, but it was a funny picture. I'm sure the book was harmless too, but I know what you mean.

Penny said...

GORGEOUS!

Once I learned to make that style pillow cover in sewing class, I never went back to the two squares the same size. I always hated having to slip stitch it closed after turning & stuffing.

I also understand why you removed the other post! It was funny, but I know exactly what you mean. Think of the traffic it could have brought to your blog as well. UGH!

Brin said...

Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh... those are AMAZING! You have talent! :D

Hey Heather! I'm Brin. I caught your sweet comment on my blog earlier this week and wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm so pleased to "meet" you!

I hate to run off like this, but I have to go back to your post and study it again. I'm fixing to use some vintage material to make some pillows for the sitting room at Freeman House.

Have a lovely rest of your week!
Brin
www.messythrillinglife.blogspot.com

OldBagNewTricks said...

These are beautiful -- I LOVE that you gt these samples so cheap. Tiy've whipped up wonders here.

And thanks for stopping by my blog -- if you check out my power tool tutorials please let me know if they are useful or if my directions are clear as mucd.

I am going back to gaze at your beautiful pillows.

Jenny

Dede Warren said...

beautiful pillows, and easy too. those are the projects for me, everything i make must be EZ. and yet it seems to be quite a long streatch in betwen sewing projects. loVe, Love, lovE all your paris flea market finds, that would be the sale for me!! enjoy, and have a wonderful day.

Martha said...

Heather J!!!!!

Those pillows look great!! I love the chenille fabric on the back, too!

You are so talented and cool.....I'm glad I get to read your blog!

I may even try making some pillows with your directions (and my Mom standing right behind me as I sew!) sometime!

You GO GIRL!!
Martha

Unknown said...

In her case, Cameron is absolutely able of affairs herself a Rolex or any added affectionate of women's affluence replica Chanel watches , or adornment watch. So is Aniston. In fact, she seems to accept a weakness for Cartier watches. She has been apparent cutting a Cartier Tank Louis, a Cartier Tank Chinoise, and a Cartier Roadster, a part of added best Cartier watches.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...