Sunday, September 16, 2007


Deuteronomy 15:7, 11
If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Proverbs 19:17
He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

A recent post at Kathy's Cottage has again inspired one of my posts (thanks Kathy!). As my spiritual maturity grows, I am realizing how much serving and loving others is one of the most important things a Christian can do. We are so blessed here where we live, and having lived close to the border at one time, I have seen some terrible conditions under which many people live.

I recently saw the Oprah Winfrey Show with Bill Clinton and his book Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World (which I can't wait to read). On the show, they featured a website, www.Kiva.org, where you give micro-loans to people in other parts of the world. You can loan as little as $25 to the person you choose. There are features of people asking for loans, explaining their business and what they intend to use the money for (the lady I loaned money to has 3 kids and wanted to buy a cow). They will pay you back at some time in the future (some do default). All the recent press has funded every single one of their loan requests, so they are currently working on more loan requests, and will have them on their website in the near future.

I will end this post with one of my favorite bible verses (have a great Sunday!):

Proverbs 11:25 ~ A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

3 comments:

Martha said...

Mrs. Jones!!!!

What's this I hear about a big-girl job???? Can't wait to hear the details!

You are the BEST! I'll be revealing my mystery man today :)

I, too, saw that Oprah show....so inspiring. And I love that last quote. SO TRUE!! Good deeds feel soooooooo good for the giver! And it's a great way to live one's life - giving to others.

Have a great day!

Martha

Kathleen Grace said...

A timely and important message, thanks for the heads up on a great way to give people a hand up reather than a hand out too! I believe a hand up is better for everyone:>)

Anonymous said...

Another contempo changeable celebrity to accord a affluence men's Replica Rolex to her man is Khloe Kardashian. Afterwards alone months of dating, Khloe and Los Angeles Lakers advanced Lamar Odom married. The one adherent who came antecedent to these two but who absolved with annihilation was Cameron Diaz.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...